Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Anne Tyler - Back When we Were Grownups

39. Back When we Were Grownups by Anne Tyler (2001)
Length: 304 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 1 July 2010
Finished: 7 July 2010
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 July 2010
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Anne Tyler as an author. I also have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.


At 53, Rebecca Davitch has discovered she has become "the wrong person". No longer the serene young lady she was at 20, she has become family caretaker and cheerleader and dresses rather frumpily in her opinion. So she decides to do something about it. Now a mother, grandmother and proprietor of the family business, Rebecca decides to go back to her "roots" - her hometown in Virginia. She locates her old boyfriend whom she jilted and renews her intellectual interests. As Rebecca tries to recapture a life that might have been, the reader is shown the life that was for Rebecca at 20 years old. I loved this book - the characters really draw you in. If I had one complaint, it would be that it was a little confusing to keep all the characters straight. I give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment