Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Vincent Bugliosi and William Stadiem - Lullaby and Good Night

44. Lullaby and Good Night by Vincent Bugliosi and William Stadiem (1987)
Length: 405 pages
Genre: True Crime
Started: 23 May 2012
Finished: 29 May 2012
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 26 April 2012
Why do I have it? I like true crime and had read Helter Skelter many, many years ago.

Loosely based around the life and times of Vivian Gordon - the convicted prostitute who tried to fight the corruption of Tammany Hall and lost - Lullaby and Good Night introduces us to Emily Stanton - a beautiful 17-year-old chorus girl who meets up-and-coming Tammany businessman, Warren Matthews. Vivacious Emily is ultimately swept off her feet and into marriage to Warren, but the marriage eventually turns sour as Warren forbids Emily's return to the stage. He violently squelches her attempts to disobey and she leaves him. Warren immediately has Emily jailed for prostitution, thus gaining custody of their daughter and grounds for a divorce in one fell swoop.

After serving time, her reputation in ruins, Emily becomes a hostess at a raucous, glittering speakeasy; a high-priced call girl who "dated" many of the men who ran New York. The case which she built against Tammany Hall backfires when Warren is murdered and she is set up to take the fall. In a murder trial that rocks New York, Emily finds a platform to reveal her inside knowledge of corruption.

As I said before, I had read Helter Skelter many, many years ago and disliked it. In my opinion, Helter Skelter was incredibly long and detailed. Because of this, I was slightly wary of reading another Vincent Bugliosi book. I was extremely surprised by how much I actually enjoyed this book. I give this book an A+! I perhaps wouldn't recommend every book by Vincent Bugliosi, however I do recommend Lullaby and Good Night and I have high hopes for another Vincent Bugliosi book which I have on my bookshelf, And the Sea Will Tell.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment