Monday, December 30, 2013

Belva Plain - Heartwood: A Novel

118. Heartwood: A Novel by Belva Plain (2011)
The Werner Family Saga Book 5
Length: 311 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 28 December 2013
Finished: 30 December 2013
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 21 November 2013
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

Iris Stern considers herself to be a thoroughly modern woman, although she still holds steadfast to her old-fashioned sensibilities. She has a successful career in academia and a happy marriage. But as the mother of four adult children, each with their own lives to live and burdens to bear, Iris often finds her sensibilities called into question when confronted with the choices her children have made.

For Iris' daughter, Laura, the choice is a fresh start in New York City - and a last chance to save her troubled marriage. While Laura and Robbie cope with their impending separation and its effect on Iris' young granddaughter, Iris herself must come to terms with the discovery of a long-held family secret. However, it's an emotional parting of another kind that looms most prominently on Iris' horizon - as neither her beloved husband, nor the solidity of her own marriage, is immune to the ravages of time.

Through the inevitable separations and reunions, the changes one cannot avoid and the love that sustains, Iris will weather whatever lies ahead with a faith that cannot be shaken. With an inner strength like that of a tree that abides through the generations, she will be as strong as heartwood.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I was completely drawn into the story and engrossed in it until the very end. I had also read Harvest - the fourth book in the Werner Family Saga - back in July of 2011. I've probably said this before, but in my opinion Belva Plain is a truly gifted storyteller. Heartwood: A Novel was her last published novel and I give it an A+! A definite keeper for me!

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment