Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Anne Rivers Siddons - Burnt Mountain: A Novel

4. Burnt Mountain: A Novel by Anne Rivers Siddons (2011)
Length: 323 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 12 January 2014
Finished: 14 January 2014
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 21 November 2013
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

Born into an affluent family in Middletown, Georgia, the only place that tomboy Thayer Wentworth ever truly felt at home as a child was at her summer camp in the North Carolina mountains. It was there that she came alive and where she met Nick Abrams, her first love...and first heartbreak. 

Years later, much to her family's dismay, Thayer marries Aengus O'Neill, an Irish professor. The couple moves into her deceased grandmother's house in Atlanta, only miles from Camp Edgewood on Burnt Mountain - where Thayer's father had died in a car accident. There, in the shadow of Burnt Mountain, Aengus and Thayer lead quiet and happy lives until the day Aengus is invited up to the boys' camp - Camp Forever - to tell old Irish tales to the campers.

As Aengus begins to spend less and less time at home - and becomes increasingly distant towards her - Thayer begins to realize that something is not quite right at Camp Forever. Thayer must eventually confront several dark secrets - about her own mother, her first love, and, most devastating of all, her husband - she must come to terms with the knowledge that the man she married is not the man she thought she knew.

I must say that, while I enjoyed reading this book for the most part, there were certain parts of the story that were slightly confusing to me. I found that the story was a little slow to get into - although it was definitely intriguing once I did - and the story held my attention through until the end. I absolutely needed to know how the story ended. However, in my opinion, the plot was more convoluted than I expected - elements of the story didn't quite mesh together all that well - at least for me. 

Overall, I give Burnt Mountain: A Novel by Anne Rivers Siddons a B+! It was perhaps not Ms. Siddons' best book, but still quite interesting to read. 

B+! - (89-94%)
       
Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment