Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Teresa R. Andrews - Shades of Souls Passed: True Accounts of Ghostly Encounters in Madison County, New York

81. Shades of Souls Passed: True Accounts of Ghostly Encounters in Madison County, New York by Teresa R. Andrews (2010)
Length: 81 pages
Genre: Horror
Started: 24 September 2012
Finished: 25 September 2012
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Teresa for sending me a copy of this book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 21 September 2012
Why do I have it? I like horror and Teresa R. Andrews is a new author for me.

This is a collection of true accounts of ghostly encounters in Madison County, New York. Madison County is located in central New York State - east of Syracuse, north of Binghamton and slightly north of due west from Albany. Whether it is a malevolent poltergeist, a mischievous little girl playing hide and seek, or a gardener simply going about his business, the lost souls that wander through Madison County remain unseen until one day, or night as the case may be, they decide to make themselves known to the living. Whatever the case, you may be sure that when you turn out your light tonight and cuddle into bed, you won't be the only one in your room - even if it looks as if you are alone.

I must say that while I don't consider myself extremely open to the paranormal, I certainly do believe that the paranormal exists. I have even had at least two experiences that I couldn't explain to myself through earthly means. When I was about nine or ten years old, my family and I were living in a town in Manchester known  as Pendlebury, about three miles northwest of Salford, England. Pendlebury is perhaps better well-known historically for the Trials of the Pendle Witches - which occurred in 1612, and are among the most famous witch trials in English history.

So, my family and I lived in a centuries-old house that my mother was completely convinced was haunted. I had never really had any paranormal experiences myself in that house until I was ten years old. It was early on a Saturday morning and I was 'sleeping in', but was actually reading in my bed. Everything was quiet in the house and for some reason I looked up at my open bedroom door. A second or so later, a ghostly man just popped his head inside my door! :)

He and I locked surprised glances with each other for about three seconds and then he vanished and I went back to reading my book. He was dressed in 17th-century clothing (although at ten years old, it just registered as old-fashioned clothing to me): wearing a cutaway coat and a monocle, I'm sure that he was fully dressed, however I can't remember what he was wearing in the style of breeches, trousers or whatever it was. I remember my mother constantly questioning me about this apparition when I mentioned that I had seen him sometime later that day.

As I have said already, I don't completely deny the existence of the paranormal and have had one other strange experience that I couldn't explain, happen to me as an adult - the jukebox at my restaurant suddenly turned on by itself. It was closing time and no one else was in the bar area except myself at the time. I have to say that I was totally terrified, and felt that there was a presence there that would harm me if I stayed any longer.

I really enjoyed this book. It was well-written, and easy reading for me and I must say a big thank you to Teresa for sending me a copy of her book to read. I give this book a big, blazing A+! and would definitely recommend this book to other readers.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment