Sunday, April 21, 2013

J. M. Coetzee - Disgrace

34. Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee (1999)
Length: 220 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 19 April 2013
Finished: 21 April 2013
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 7 August 2009
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and J. M. Coetzee is a new author for me.

At fifty-two, Professor David Lurie is a disgraced man. He is divorced, filled with desire but lacking passion. An affair with one of his students has ultimately left him without a position and without friends. Except for his estranged daughter, Lucy, who works on her remote South African farm with her neighbor, Petrus, an African farmer who now lives a life of modest prosperity.

David decides to leave the city and moves in with Lucy and her partner, in an attempt to achieve a better relationship with his daughter. He has plans for the future to write an opera about Lord Byron and his Italian mistress, Contessa Teresa Guiccioli. Instead, David finds a job working with Bev - Lucy's friend and an animal welfare volunteer, who also works as an unofficial veterinarian.

Lucy and David's relationship is extremely strained to begin with - there is much from their past that they need to reconcile - and the situation becomes even more critical when they are the victims of a vicious and horrifying attack. I have to say that I'm not exactly sure why I waited so long to read this book, except that there are so many other books that I wanted to read as well, that this one kind of got lost in the shuffle for a time. It was beautifully written and very thought-provoking - just the sort of story that I love to read - I give this book a big, blazing A+! 

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment