Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Robin Maugham - The Servant

46. The Servant by Robin Maugham (1948)
Length: 75 pages
Genre: Short Story
Started: 4 June 2012
Finished: 5 June 2012
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 4 January 2010
Why do I have it? I had read The Link several years ago by the same author and as a matter of fact, I saw the film adaptation of The Servant with my sister Margaret in 1963 when it first came out.

Set in London just after World War II, Richard Merton tells the story of Tony, a close friend and fellow Army officer, who - breaking ties with old friends and habits - steadily falls under the influence of his sinister new butler, Barrett. Concerned for his friend, Richard slowly uncovers a strange affair which shatters both class and sexual barriers and turns the servant into the master, and the master into the servant. I really did enjoy this book and give it an A+!

This is the first time that I have actually read The Servant although I did see the movie when it came out in the 1960's. I enjoyed the movie and the book independently of each other and found that the movie was completely different from the book. In my opinion, the movie did not follow the book at all, but still was very good! :)

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment