Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cathy Lee Crosby - Let the Magic Begin: Opening the Door to a Whole New World of Possibility

56. Let the Magic Begin: Opening the Door to a Whole New World of Possibility by Cathy Lee Crosby (1997)
Length: 363 pages
Genre: Non-Fiction
Started: 5 July 2012
Finished: 12 July 2012
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 April 2009
Why do I have it? I like autobiographies and I was curious about Cathy Lee Crosby's life.

Cathy Lee Crosby is an internationally known and multi-talented actress, writer, producer and philanthropist. She was a seventh-ranked professional tennis player who went on to star in 60 feature films, three off-Broadway plays and was co-host of the television series That's Incredible! during the 1980s and early 1990s.

In 1995, four major life events occurring in quick succession - the death of her grandmother, contracting Epstein-Barr Syndrome, her divorce from football star Joe Thiesman and declaring bankruptcy when Joe sued her for half of all her assets - led Cathy Lee Crosby into a realm of darkness and despair. This book follows her struggle back to what she calls "The Bliss Zone" - the place of inner peace, contentment and the pure "magic" of life.

I must say that this was the first time that I had actually read this book, after having it on my downstairs bookcase for about three years. I normally love autobiographies, and while this particular book started out very strongly, about halfway through it became bogged down (at least in my opinion) with Cathy Lee's metaphysical and 'New Age' practices. I believe in the miraculous, and in the little coincidences of life - please don't misinterpret my thinking on that score - I just don't believe that everything is ultimately a 'sign from the cosmos' to be dissected and studied down to the last minutest detail.

I did enjoy parts of this book, however I found that at certain points in this book Cathy Lee Crosby became somewhat of a name dropper and that ultimately lessened my enjoyment of the book. I give this book a strong B+! and look forward to potentially passing it on to another interested reader of non-fiction.

B+! - (89-94%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment