Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Michael Phillip Cash - Brood X: A Firsthand Account of the Great Cicada Invasion

79. Brood X: A Firsthand Account of the Great Cicada Invasion by Michael Phillip Cash (2013)
Length: 297 pages
Genre: Horror
Started: 19 August 2013
Finished: 20 August 2013
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Michael Phillip Cash for sending me a copy of this book to read. 
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 19 August 2013
Why do I have it? I like horror and have read and enjoyed Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island by the same author in the past.

The evening news issues its ominous warnings nightly - reports caution that a swarm of cicadas, known as Brood Ten, are expected to overwhelm the entire Northeast. The swarm is considered vicious and is expected to invade sometime during the summer. Preparations are strongly advised.

Seth is laid off from work. His wife Lara - a teacher - has just found out that they are expecting a baby this summer. Seth plans on documenting her entire pregnancy with his brand new digital camcorder.

During a sweltering summer night, Brood Ten emerges and begins to wreak havoc with the electric grid. Phone and cell service goes down, wi-fi connection is disrupted, food and water supply are the next casualties. Civilization as they once knew it has disappeared.

Seth and Lara find themselves thrown back to the stone age while living in their own home, with trillions of cicadas trying to deposit their eggs and breed. The plague known as Brood Ten has begun...

This book is actually Michael Phillip Cash's debut novel, although it's the second one that I've read by this author. I was immediately drawn into the story - it took me a day to read. I found that the plot was extremely fast-paced and suspenseful. Sometimes, the plots of books that try to deal with natural terrors can become almost comical in their portrayal of potential threats, at least in my opinion.

However, that was not my experience while reading Brood X: A Firsthand Account of the Great Cicada Invasion by Michael Phillip Cash. I found the horror in this book to be entirely realistic and totally believable. I can tell you, I won't ever look at cicadas in quite the same way again. I give this book an A! 

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment