Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Arthur Herzog - Heat

110. Heat by Arthur Herzog (1977)
Length: 277 pages
Genre: Horror
Started: 24 November 2013
Finished: 27 November 2013
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 5 April 2001
Why do I have it? I like horror and Arthur Herzog is a new author for me. 

Somewhere in a secret underground laboratory, Lawrence Pick - an engineer who predicted and analyzed large-scale calamities that might affect the national security of the United States - gathers startling evidence that the world's weather may be rapidly changing, as a prelude to a fundamental alteration in global climate. They call him an alarmist - a gloomy, anxious pessimist. Lawrence resented the label, but for himself and a team of equally skilled scientists, the evidence is irrefutable. 

When the evidence of a carbon dioxide buildup was first brought to his attention, the idea seemed ludicrous, too far-fetched. Until nature itself breathed life into the theory. Now, as freakish weather conditions prevail: extraordinary tornadoes and hurricanes, droughts, violent hailstorms and windstorms, as well as savage waterspouts - Lawrence's various 'over-reactive' weather predictions become a stunning reality. 

"Condition Green" is no longer a theory as destruction runs rampant, but still neither the government of the United States nor the people will listen. Too late, the results of man's indifference is everywhere...with only one hope for survival. 

I must say that while I ultimately ended up enjoying this book, I found reading it was a bit of a slog for me in certain places. In my opinion, the writing was too technically involved - the author used a little too much scientific jargon - and as a result, reading the story was slightly beyond me at times. 

It was still a very good book, but for me, the thing that saved Heat by Arthur Herzog being rated a B+! or even a B! was that the action picked up appreciably towards the end. I give this story an A! This is certainly a book that makes you think - and worry!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment