Thursday, June 26, 2014

Agatha Christie - The Under Dog and Other Stories

63. The Under Dog and Other Stories by Agatha Christie (1951)
The Hercule Poirot Series Book 28.5
Length: 192 pages
Genre: Short Stories
Started: 24 June 2014
Finished: 26 June 2014
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 10 May 2001
Why do I have it? I like short stories and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past. I'm not entirely sure who acquired this book for their TBR pile first, but over the years it has somehow migrated into Mareena's room. I was looking for something to read several nights ago, and I asked her if I could read it.

The synopsis on the back cover of this book declares that the nine short stories contained within are Hercule Poirot's "Nasty Nine". Agatha Christie's sophisticated Belgian sleuth matches wits against nine of the worst criminals in order to solve these most baffling mysteries. A dead heiress on a train, a murdered recluse, and a wealthy playboy slain at a costume ball are only a few of the unfortunate victims of the confounding crimes committed in the pages of Ms. Christie's The Under Dog and Other Stories, a superior collection of short mystery fiction all featuring Hercule Poirot as the investigator.

The reader is invited to accompany Agatha Christie's most famous detective creation on a twisting trail of baffling mystery, shattering violence and delectable deduction as once again Hercule Poirot proves that his magnificent mind is mightier than the swiftest, stealthiest hand of a murderer. Here is Monsieur Poirot at the peak of his powers. Here is Agatha Christie at her spellbinding best.

I thought that this book was vintage Agatha Christie - these were nine of perhaps the most intriguing, most perplexing, yet highly entertaining mysteries that I've read in quite a while. I do enjoy Agatha Christie's writing style, but will say that as with many of her stories, I had trouble concluding "who done it." I give The Under Dog and Other Stories by Agatha Christie an A!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment