Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Don D'Ammassa - Blood Beast

80. Blood Beast by Don D'Ammassa (1988)
Length: 384 pages
Genre: Horror
Started: 23 August 2014
Finished: 26 August 2014
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap 
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 4 May 2013
Why do I have it? I like horror and Don D'Ammassa is a new author for me.

It may have been carved from cold stone...but it pulsated with nothing except the purest evil. It seemed to have existed for eons; in fact, no one could remember exactly where the stone gargoyle had come from. It was just an ugly stone creature high up on the walls of the old Sheffield Library. It perched there, looking out with malevolent eyes over the small town of Managansett, Rhode Island. And looking deep into the hearts of the townsfolk...waiting, always waiting...

Little Jimmy Nicholson liked to go and stare at the gargoyle. It seemed to look straight at him, as if it knew the deepest, darkest, most secret desires that dwelt in the eight-year-old's heart. And Jimmy knew that the gargoyle had the power to give him everything he'd ever wanted. However, first he had to be willing to do the creature's bidding - no matter how evil...

I actually enjoyed reading this book much more than I thought I would. For a horror book written in the late 1980s, I found that the story was very well-written and not too overdone. It held my attention and interest until the very end; unlike so many other horror books that I've read, which have a tendency to fall apart. 

If I did have one slight criticism though, it would be that the author was extremely detailed in writing about the day-to-day running of Managansett's largest manufacturing plant. Other readers certainly may find such details interesting; however, I found them much more intricate than I would have liked. I would still give Blood Beast by Don D'Ammassa an A!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment