Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sue Miller - While I Was Gone

68. While I Was Gone by Sue Miller (1999)
Length: 265 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 13 August 2012
Finished: 15 August 2012
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 June 2009
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Sue Miller is a new author for me.

Jo Becker has every reason to be content. She has three dynamic daughters, a loving husband and marriage, and a rewarding career. In spite of this, Jo still finds herself to be somehow dissatisfied with her life.

Then, Jo's veterinary practice takes on a new client who brings her into contact with a man from her past. Eli Mayhew was a housemate of Jo's, from a time when she lived a bohemian lifestyle in a communal house with several other people. Her chance meeting with Eli brings back memories of her early twenties to Jo and how her life used to be so vibrant.

She becomes obsessed with that period of her life and with the crime that concluded it. Jo's obsession will eventually estrange her from everything that she holds dear, causing her to tell lie after lie as she is pulled closer to this man from her past - and to a horrible secret.

I really enjoyed this book. Sue Miller is a new author for me, although I do have The Good Mother sitting somewhere on my bookshelves. I have never read it before but certainly am looking forward to reading it some time soon. I give this book an A+! and actually said to Mareena as I closed this book that I thought it would have made a great movie - she just told me that a movie was made of While I Was Gone in 2004.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment