Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Giovanni Arpino - A Crime of Honor

69. A Crime of Honor by Giovanni Arpino (1963)
Length: 150 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 22 July 2013
Finished: 23 July 2013
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 30 October 2001
Why do I have it? I like historical fiction and Giovanni Arpino is a new author for me. 

Gaetano Castiglia was a distinguished Italian doctor, the son of a wealthy land owner - the very soul of respectability. In his late thirties, Gaetano chose as his bride a girl of seventeen - Sabina - a beautiful peasant girl. Ever the true gentleman, he refused to give her up simply because public opinion was against the match. Even over his own mother's bitter objections, he planned to train Sabina, make her a lady and then marry her. All was proceeding according to Gaetano's intentions...until he discovered something that shocked him to the very core. 

This was an extremely intriguing book for me to read. Giovanni Arpino is a new author for me, and A Crime of Honor is a translation from the Italian. In my opinion, this book superbly showcased the changing social mores of Italian society during the time between the World Wars. I give this book an A!  

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment