Thursday, February 6, 2014

Mary Alice Monroe - The Beach House

14. The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe (2002)
The Beach House Series Book 1
Length: 407 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 31 January 2014
Finished: 6 February 2014
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 27 January 2014
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

Caretta Rutlege had thought that by moving to Chicago at age eighteen, she had effectively left her Southern roots and troubled family far behind her. Over the past two decades, Cara had created a comfortable life for herself, as well as a successful career that kept her busy. The status of polite truce that currently exists between herself and her mother has worked well for them both - and she sees no reason why that should change.

But an unusual request from her mother - coming just as her own life is spinning out of control - has Cara questioning the years of self-imposed estrangement. So now, she is heading back to the Isle of Palms - back to the scenic Lowcountry of her childhood summers. Before long, the rhythms of the island open her heart in wonderful ways as she repairs the family beach house, becomes a bona fide "turtle lady" and renews old acquaintances long thought lost. But it is in reconnecting with her mother that she will learn life's most precious lessons - true love involves sacrifice, family is forever, and the mistakes of the past can be forgiven.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a very well-written story, with an engaging plot and sympathetic characters. In my opinion, my reading pace was slower with this book - much slower than with some books that I've read recently.

It certainly had nothing to do with this particular book, overall the story was still very interesting - I just think that I was slightly distracted while reading. I give this book a definite A! and will certainly be reading more from this author in the future.

I've read two previous books by different authors relatively recently - both dealing with sea turtles as an element of the plots. Some readers may find learning so much about sea turtles very informative, but for me, I may have just learned too much, too fast. As a result, I went into 'Sea Turtle Information Overload'!

A! - (90-95%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment