Monday, February 17, 2014

Michael Collins - Lost Souls

17. Lost Souls by Michael Collins (2003)
Length: 261 pages
Genre: Contemporary Mystery
Started: 15 February 2014
Finished: 17 February 2014
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 12 February 2014
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and Michael Collins is a new author for me.

Among the acts of petty vandalism and various teenage pranks played on Halloween night, a true tragedy is discovered. A local police officer finds the body of a little girl, dressed as an angel, concealed in a pile of autumn leaves. With the streets full of trick-or-treating children, it looks like she might have been the victim of a hit-and-run. But how did a three-year-old child come to be hiding there alone in the dark, dressed in her flimsy costume? And why were the child's feet bare?

As the investigation proceeds and the media's spotlight intensifies, a much more ominous story unfolds. It's the typical story the media thrives on -  a ghastly crime, a bungled cover-up, and tantalizing rumors of an innocence defiled. While the mayor and chief of police conspire to divert attention from the primary suspect - a local high school football hero whom they hope will take their town all the way to the state championship - it is left to the man who discovered the child's body to find the truth beneath the cover-up.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I found the lead character very sympathetic - I felt so sorry for him, and the position that he found himself in. The plot was very intricate, and had me wondering who could have committed the crime right from the beginning. I will say that the mystery left me with several unanswered questions in my mind, and that left me slightly perplexed. Overall though, I give Lost Souls by Michael Collins an A! - it really was very good.

A! - (90-95%)
 
Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment