Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Anne Tyler - A Slipping-Down Life

27. A Slipping-Down Life by Anne Tyler (1969)
Length: 186 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 24 March 2014
Finished: 25 March 2014
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 3 February 2014
Why do I have it?  I like contemporary fiction and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

Evie Decker is 17-years-old - a painfully shy, slightly plump teenager whose mother died in childbirth, and she lives with her father. All in all, Evie's life is terribly lonely - until she hears the voice of 'Drumstrings' Casey on the radio. She is completely captivated and is resolute in her desire to eventually meet him. With her only friend, Violet, she discovers where Drumstrings is singing next and goes to see his show.

It is while she is attending Drumstrings' shows, that Evie truly bursts out of her lonely shell - once and for all - and comes under the intense scrutiny of the one man who at first seemed so intangible to her. In the space of time that it takes Evie to commit a single drastic act, her life is irrevocably changed. And she will never be the same again.

In my opinion, this book was really quite good, and I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting. It was a fast read for me - and while the plot was certainly quirky - I still found that the characters were well-crafted and extremely likable. Overall, I give A Slipping-Down Life by Anne Tyler a definite A! 

A! - (90-95%)
       
Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment